Sunday, July 28, 2013

2013.07.28 No. & So. Doublehead - Three Doubleheads In 2-Wks

Two weeks ago we hiked Doublehead Mtn, not to be confused with North & South Doublehead which I hiked alone this weekend.  Sue was under the weather and I wanted to hike, so off I went.

There was only room for 4-5 cars to park and it was full but I squeezed in by using a ditch (nice to have an AWD vehicle).  I followed the Doublehead Ski Trail (a real backcountry ski trail in the winter) to reach the summit of North Doublehead.  I then followed the ridge to South Doublehead and backtracked some to reach the Old Path Trail for a portion of my return.  The Old Path Trail was very steep so I am glad I decided to descend in this direction.

Descending the col from North to South Doublehead was also very step.  And, according to some hikers I met and chatted with who had come up via the New Path trail, that is also very challenging and steep.

For those making this hike there are two things you should know.  There is a cabin at the summit of North Doublehead and had I not bumped into someone nearby I would never have known that there is a second and better view just a short distance behind the cabin.  Also note that there is a privy at the back of the cabin.  Hmm...doesn't the smell get into the cabin?

All in all this was a great hike.  Though only 3.7 miles in length, there are sufficient challenges in the nearly 1,600 foot elevation gain to make this a good workout.  Now some pics:


 If you decide to use this ski trail in the winter, don't use your new, finely tuned skis unless there is really substantive snow cover!

 No lifts on this ski trail.  At least that means no lift lines!

Yes, you can rent this baby for a mere $20/night.  What a great deal.  See details below.

 
Note the dragonflies in this shot.  One of them hung around for a few more of the photos below.  What a publicity seeker.


Look closely, my dragonfly friend is in the upper right coming towards me.

My dragonfly friend is back again.



The cairn at South Doublehead.

Standing on South Doublehead looking back at the North summit.


 Based on the condition of this sign, is "New" Path really all that new?

THE END!

No comments: